IMPORTANT - COVID-19 SAFETY
Indoor group classes now running
In line with the UK government roadmap, our indoor group Pilates classes resumed from 18th May, and we maintain our Covid-Secure status. This means:
- You must NOT attend group classes if you are any experiencing Covid-19 symptoms, have tested positive, or have been in contact with anyone who has tested positive for Coronavirus.
- You must wear a face-covering when entering, leaving and moving around within each venue. (You do not need to wear a face-covering during the class itself, and it is not recommended, but you may do so if you wish.)
- You may not 'socialise' before or after class in groups larger than 6.
- We must by law keep a register of all participants' names and contact details. (I already do this through information collected on your health screening forms. You will not be able to participate in classes unless you provide a contact telephone number.)
- Please also use your NHS Covid-19 Contact Tracing app to scan the venue barcode each time you attend class. (Whilst this is not mandatory, you are encouraged to do so.)
Jane Mackenzie's Health and Fitness adheres to all mandatory Covid-secure regulations to ensure our clients remain safe at all times. We work in conjunction with our professional industry body (CIMSPA) and insurers (FITPRO) in order to do so. Measures we have put in place include:
- NHS contact tracing adherence
- Documented risk assessments for each teaching venue
- Reduced and strict maximum class sizes to permit required 2m social distancing*
- Maintaining required social distancing between Jane Mackenzie and her class members at all times
- Taking contactless card payments instead of cash
- Strongly encouraging advance booking and payment
- No longer using shared group equipment
- Adherence to recommended hand hygiene protocols
- Ensuring adequate ventilation during classes. (Please note that in order to do so, the class environment may sometimes be slightly cooler than we are used to, so please bring an extra layer to wear just in case.)
- Cleaning of venues between classes
- Keeping everyone up-to-date with the latest regulations and guidance.
- Additional venue-specific safety information may be found on our Class Information page Timetable and Venues section, and also on our Availability page by clicking the Class Percentage bars.
Government guidance, and therefore our operational procedures, may change, and will be updated here accordingly.
*The photographs used on our website were taken before the Coronavirus pandemic, and hence do not reflect the social distancing measures we now have in place.
Timetable and Venues
Tuesday 9.00 am Hythe, Burton Hall
Tuesday 5.30 pm Folkestone, Three Hills
Tuesday 6.45 pm Folkestone, Three Hills
Wednesday 9.30 am Sellindge, Sports Club
Wednesday 11.30 am Folkestone, Shepway
Wednesday 6.00 pm Hythe, Cricket Club
Thursday 9.30 am Hythe, Cricket Club
Thursday 10.45 am Hythe, Cricket Club
Thursday 6.00 pm Hythe, Cricket Club
All classes last 1 hour.
Plenty of free parking is available at all locations. Please arrive 15 minutes before the class starts if you are new, or 5 minutes before the class for regular participants. Please respect others and turn up in plenty of time.
Three Hills Sports Park Folkestone
Tues 5.30 pm, 6.45 pm
Cheriton Road, Folkestone, Kent CT19 5JU. (We are in the Roundhill Suite.) Google map
Covid-19 Safety: Maximum 11 places; powerful dual aircon units; separate entry/exit access routes; venue hand sanitiser.
Shepway Close Centre Folkestone
Wed 11.30 am
Shepway Close, Folkestone, Kent CT19 5SJ. Google map.
(Additional directions and location map are available from our Media Downloads page.)
Covid-19 Safety: maximum 15 places; large venue with plenty of space; excellent fresh air ventilation
Sellindge Sports and Social Club
Wed 9.30 am
69 Swan Lane, Sellindge, Kent. TN25 6HB. Google map
Covid-19 Safety: Maximum 11 places; excellent fresh air through ventilation; separate entry/exit access points.
Hythe Cricket and Squash Club
Wed 6.00 pm, Thurs 9.30 am, 10.45 am, 6.00 pm
The Grove, Hythe, Kent. CT21 6AX. Google map.
(Additional directions and location map are available from our Media Downloads page.)
Covid-19 Safety: Maximum 12 places; excellent fresh air through ventilation; separate entry/exit from rest of club.
Prices and Booking
- Single classes cost £8.00
- Block of 4 classes costs £30.00
- £2 discount per class for Jane 24/7 members!
Classes may be booked in advance, or you may pay on the day.
Booking in advance
- Pay in advance to book either single classes or blocks of classes. Your places are booked and guaranteed once payment has been received and Jane has confirmed availability. (Blocks of classes do not have to be taken on consecutive weeks. Just let us know the dates you wish to attend at the time of booking.)
- Payment may be made by cheque, bank transfer, or by contactless card payment at your previous week’s class. For bank transfers, please contact Jane to request her bank details. Please note that for Covid safety reasons we no longer accept cash payments.
- Please note that we allocate places in the order of payments received. Telling us you are going to attend and will pay does not guarrantee your place.
- To enable us to manage class numbers, booked classes may only be changed to a different week, if a week or more notice is given.
- If less than a week’s notice, we will endeavour to fit you in on a different class during that same week only subject to availability.
Pay on the day
- Although you may still turn up for a class without having booked and paid in advance, we now strongly recommend you book in advance, as class sizes have been reduced for social distancing, and classes are likely to be booked up in advance.
- In this case, places are subject to availability on a first come first served basis, so it is best to arrive early, You can of course contact Jane beforehand to see how busy we are, but we can’t guarantee your place.
Please also see our full Terms and Conditions for payments and class availability.
Please contact Jane to let her know if you would like to come to a class, to check latest availability, and so Jane has a better idea of expected numbers. Please also feel free to contact Jane regarding any questions or concerns you may have.
Jane will then give you the option to either book (guarantee) your place by paying in advance, or you may simply just turn up on the day. Please remember that places are subject to available space if you have not paid for your class in advance, but Jane will let you know whether advance booking is advisable.
Safety and Health Screening
Everyone will be asked to complete a health screening form prior to attending their first class. This enables us to ensure it is safe for you to exercise, and to account for any particular health issues you may have. It is also an insurance requirement. A verbal screening will also be carried out each week to check there are no changes to your health.
If you do have any changes to your health status, please inform Jane before your class. (Some medical conditions, injuries and illnesses and may require you to visit your doctor before starting or continuing with exercise.)
The quickest and easiest way to complete your health screening is by using our Secure Online Screening Form. Or you may download a paper copy to complete in advance and bring with you to your first class.
What to Wear and Bring Along
You will need a Pilates mat. All other equipment is optional. Please wear comfortable exercise clothing. You don’t need trainers and will be doing the class in bare feet or socks depending on the temperature. Please also bring along a towel (for neck support if needed) and a water bottle, which you can fill at the venue (we want to encourage everyone to drink plenty of water).
Please note that for Covid safety reasons we no longer provide shared group equipment.
We have high quality 6mm Pilates Mats for sale in their own carry case available for purchase in a variety of colours, as well as blocks, bands, soft balls and trigger point balls. Visit our Shop for all Pilates products for sale.
You must by law wear a face mask when entering, leaving and moving around the venue (e.g. when going to the toilet). You need not wear a face mask during the exercise class itself, and it is not recommended to do so. However, if you wish to wear one, that’s perfectly fine.
The sound of mobile phones ringing or other notification noises can be very distracting for people during classes, and reduce enjoyment for all. We therefore ask that if you do bring your mobile phone with you, you respect our other participants and ensure it is on ‘Silent’ or ‘Do Not Disturb’ mode for the duration of the class.
A bit Nervous or Unsure?
We completely understand that starting exercise classes can be daunting for some, but you really don’t need to worry. Jane Mackenzie is Kent’s most experienced exercise professional and has been working in the health and fitness industry for 27 years, so rest assured you are in the safest of hands. Jane is highly qualified and fully insured. She is also a Level 3 Fitness Trainer and a qualified teacher (Cert. Ed. MA), and has trained many other instructors in gaining their own fitness qualifications. Jane is always very happy for you to give her a call or message and talk to her personally, if you wish.
Jane ensures that her Pilates classes are suitable for all participants, by providing different variations for each exercise, so you can work at a level suitable for you. Jane’s classes are not a competition, they are for you, and are designed to help you develop your fitness safely and progressively. Expect a relaxed, happy and informal environment, without any pressure on you to try anything you are not comfortable with.
Read Jane’s Testimonials
Your other Questions
Can I come to just one class to start with to ‘try you out’?
Yes, of course! You will be very welcome.
Do your classes run in a series as ‘courses’?
No, we run classes on an individual basis, so you are free to start and stop classes whenever you like, subject to availability of course.
Can I ‘chop and change’ between different classes each week?
Yes, you can come to whichever classes you like, whenever you like – subject to availability at the time of booking. If you know which classes you wish to attend in advance, please let Jane know at the time you make your payment. If you just want to swap to a different class one week, contact Jane and she will be happy to help if there is space.
I’m a complete beginner. How fit do I need to be to do Pilates with you?
All our classes are multi-level, meaning that we cater for all levels of ability, from beginner to advanced. With an experienced instructor such as Jane, Pilates is unique in its ability to do so. At every class, Jane will offer a range of variations for each exercise, so you can exercise as gently or as hard as you need to. If you are medically well enough to exercise, then Jane’s classes will be suitable for you, even if you are very unfit. Jane will always ensure you are working safely, but if you have specific health issues that you would like to discuss, please contact Jane.
I’m already very fit. Would I still benefit from practicing Pilates with you?
Yes – most definitely. Pilates is designed to correct postural problems, improve flexibility and balance, strengthen key core muscles, and address other muscle imbalances that can occur when we train or undertake our sports. By practicing Pilates regularly, you will perform better and reduce the risk of injuring yourself (especially your back) during your sports or activities, and you will also improve the way you look by becoming more poised and upright. Jane is uniquely qualified to help you in this respect, as not only is she a highly qualified Pilates instructor, but she is also a Level 3 Personal Fitness Trainer and has instructed in many sporting disciplines. You will be surprised at how challenging some Pilates exercises can be, if you choose to try Jane’s more advanced variations.
Do you have any age restrictions?
Older children under 16 may attend classes only if accompanied by a parent or guardian, and provided they are old enough to follow and participate in the exercises without disrupting our other participants. There is no maximum age, and we currently have several people in their eighties enjoying Pialtes with us, although suitability to attend classes will depend on your personal functional ability. Please contact Jane to discuss if you have any concerns.
Do you run any classes for men only?
We only run mixed classes open to all genders. To understand why, please read Jane’s article.
I am a wheelchair user. Can I still do Pilates with you?
Most of our venues have wheelchair access and disabled parking and toilets. We fully embrace Equality and Diversity, and will make every effort to ensure you can enjoy Pilates with us. Jane is fully qualified in working with disabled clients, and in chair-based exercise, and in most cases will be able to offer you seated exercise variations. Clearly, your personal level of functional ability will ultimately dictate whether Pilates is an appropriate form of exercise for you, so please contact Jane to discuss your requirements.
Online Pilates Classes Now Running
Booking priority and £2 discount on all face-to-face classes for 24/7 members!
Join Jane Mackenzie 24/7, and access the highest quality Pilates instruction, wherever and whenever you like. Enjoy both livestream and recorded classes with Kent's leading Pilates instructor. Be part of a Pilates community where you will learn more about Pilates, ask questions, track your progress, and much more!
Prefer not to attend a group class?
Unable to or prefer not to attend group classes? Do you have complex health issues? Do you require rehabilitation after orthopedic or other surgery?